Sciatica refers to back pain caused by trouble with the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is a large nerve that runs down the back of each leg, starting from the lower back. If something injures or puts pressure on this nerve, it can cause pain in the lower back that then spreads to the hip, buttocks, and leg. Fortunately, up to 90% of people can recover from without surgery, with the help of clinics and centers offering sciatica treatment in Jacksonville, FL.
Symptoms of sciatica can often appear suddenly and can last for days or even weeks. The most common sciatica symptom is lower back pain that extends downwards into the leg, and the most common cause is a herniated disk. Disks act like cushions between the vertebrae in our spines and can become weaker as we age. Nearly 1 in 50 people will get a herniated disk at some point in life.
- Other causes of sciatica are:
- Spinal Stenosis – Natural wear and tear of the vertebrae
- Spinal Tumors – Tumors growing inside or along the spinal cord or sciatic nerve
- Piriformis Syndrome – The piriformis muscle can spasm
- Sacroiliitis – Inflammation of one or both of the sacroiliac joints (found where the lower spine connects to the pelvis)
- Injury or Infection – Muscle inflammation, infections, or injuries such as fractures
Remember, seeking sciatica treatment at a pain management and spine center can relieve your agony and help you get back on your feet.